Part-time Faculty (Children’s)
The position of part-time faculty member will focus on implementing the artistic vision and curriculum standards set forth by the Academy Principal and/or the Children’s Program Coordinator. The primary duties will consist of teaching and developing the students of School of Nashville Ballet. In addition, the part-time faculty member will be expected to uphold Nashville Ballet’s reputation for artistic excellence and make regular and active contributions to a creative and enthusiastic working environment.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
• Demonstrate a strong knowledge of classical ballet
• Fun-loving and nurturing personality with a true and deep desire to work with pre-school and elementary-aged children
• Knowledgeable about gestures, body movement and language, along with the ability to translate that information to pre-school and elementary age children
• Learn and implement syllabus for Academy and Children’s Division
• Take into account the basic developmental stages of children (physical, cognitive, social/emotional, and communication)
• Handle various classroom outbreaks and needs such as, but not limited to: discipline, redirection, meltdowns, shyness, spontaneity, etc.
• Possess awareness about the various needs and wants of students and parents
• Recognize that children respond to situations and environments differently
• Possess tools to greet a new child and family enthusiastically, creating a safe and welcoming environment
• Maintain up-to-date records of student attendance and performance in class
• Deliver material that illustrates progression of curriculum in students
• Infuse creativity into the instruction of ballet and other dance forms with age-appropriate engagement for classes in SNB Children’s Division as assigned
• Enthusiastically and effectively engage parents, and organize students to execute successful parent observations and special events, showing progression of curriculum in your students
• With the supervision of the Academy Principal, coordinate parent/student conferences and/or communication related to student performance as needed
• Serves as an advocate to the community, students, and parents of the SNB in order to assure they maintain confidence in the value of the educational opportunities provided as indicated by their continued enrollment in our programs
• Enforce school uniform and grooming policies
• Other duties as needed
• Teach scheduled classes with maturity
• Manage students in classroom and problem solve as needed
• Maintain a high level of communication with administrative staff on your class needs, communication of class rosters, and students
• Interface with faculty members and staff members with regards to aspects of SNB
• Appear as a representative for Nashville Ballet or SNB (as needed) in the community and media
Work Requirements and Qualifications:
1. Education: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience; pedagogy training preferred
2. Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Ability to provide leadership and to manage students and dancers
• Ability to make decisions and solve problems
• Ability to exercise flexibility, patience, sound time-management and multi-tasking skills
• Word processing and spreadsheet skills
• Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills
• Energetic self-starter, able to function comfortably in a fast-paced, team environment and relate well to students/families and customers
3. Experience: Classical ballet dance experience, preferably 3 years of classical ballet teaching experience
4. Equipment: basic use of computers (Word/Excel), knowledge of studio equipment
The physical demands described here are a non-exhaustive list of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to handle, feel, talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms above the shoulder. The employee is frequently required to sit and occasionally stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative to those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative to those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate.
To be considered for the position, please email the items below in one PDF-formatted file with your name as the filename, i.e. JohnSmith.pdf, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Part-Time Faculty” as the email’s subject line.
1. A substantive cover letter including the following information: where you found the position listed, your interest in the position and the organization, the date you are available to start, and contact information for three professional references.
2. A résumé no longer than 2 pages outlining your educational and professional experience.
Incomplete submissions will not be considered nor will submissions sent via postal mail or fax. No calls please.
Prospective applicants are strongly encouraged to review our website at www.nashvilleballet.com prior to submitting materials for consideration. Thank you!
Benefits include free classes, complimentary/discounted tickets to certain performances, 401k participation after reaching a threshold of hours worked within the year